Este blog no apoya la difusión de contenidos con derechos de autor (excepto los casos en los que el autor da su permiso para ello o los difunde de manera gratuita).
Aquest blog no dona suport a la difusió de continguts amb dret d'autor (exceptuant els casos en els que l'autor en dona permís o els difon de manera gratuïta).
This blog does not support the dissemination of copyrighted content (except for cases in which the author gives permission for it or spreads for free).

miércoles, 29 de septiembre de 2021

Free RPG Day 2021 - Traveller: Albatros

Free RPG Day 2021
Free RPG Day 2021

In today's post I will talk about my participation in this year's Free RPG Day thanks to Sugaar Editorial with Albatros, a sicence-fiction adventures for the Traveller role-playing game that happens in planet Saturn moons.

To have material for the magazine that will be distributed at stores in Spain coming October 16th (and which will be available as a download by Christmas) Sugaar Editorial announced an adventure contest coinciding with Jornadas Sugaaraldia held last February.

Contestants could write adventures for the active lines of the publisher at the time of the announcement: Because I already knew Traveller since it's was published for first time in Spain thanks to the disappeared Diseños Orbitales (Wikipedia | Roleropedia | Juegos y Dados (interview with Dick Batista)) and I had also participated in the patronage carried out by Sugaar Editorial to publish in Spain the second edition of the Mongoose Publishing version I encouraged myself to try and, well, the fortune godess smiled at me 😉 and I was the winner of the category.

Traveller - Albatros
Traveller - Albatros

I don't think that achieving it was only a matter of luck, since I could have written an adventure in the Third Empire (the setting par excellence of Traveller) and don't bother myself. Instead of taking a path that seemed a bit trite to me I decided to exercise some "creative musculature" (something I really needed to carry out) and began to esplore other options. This decision led me to think about an adventure not depending in high technological levels (neither grav technology or jump engines to travel out of our solar system), so the setting to be designed couldn't go beyond Technical Level 8 (TL8), something which shouldn't be a limitation for player characters because interesting stories can also be created without them leaving home (or you can make such stories visit them...).

Wanderers - a short film by Erik Wernquist from Erik Wernquist on Vimeo.

Atomic Rockets
Atomic Rockets

Hard Sci-Fi
Hard Sci-Fi
Because the physicists and thermodynamic experts
deserve to be entertained as well

One does not simply talk about rockets without bringing the Atomic Rockets site up
One does not simply talk about rockets
without bringing the Atomic Rockets site up

It was then when I remembered that there was an extremely useful website at my disposal: Atomic Rockets, created by Winchell "Nyrath" Chung (Web | Twitter), THE RESOURCE (yes, in capital letters and bold) for every person eager to write a science-fiction story, novel or adventure must read YES OR YES if willing to give it a minimal scientific coherence. In this website it's possible to find all kind of information and explanations about spaceship building from a realistic point of view and a lot of advice and ideas for the science-fiction writer, so if you are interested in the topic you may spend a long time reading its contents.







Saturn - Hohmann Orbits
Saturn - Hohmann Orbits

And where I will place the adventure? At first I thought about it taking place in Jupiter, but it really wasn't going to be something original because there's already a lot of fiction happeinig in it's moon system. Instead I choosed Saturn inspired by the information appearing in Ring Raiders, a sample setting in Atomic Rockets which I quickly saw as perfectly adaptable to what I had in mind and also allowed me to introduce Real WorldTM scientific concepts, like for instance Hohmann transfer orbits (Ring Raiders treats the topic and have links to interesting resources to begin to carry out the needed calculations).

Regarding the social, political and economical background of Albatros I created it as an evolution of the Real WorldTM and I recognize that it's quite dark, but this also makes it interesting and dramatic for players (you will be able to read it when the magazine will be distributed at stores or when you will be able to download it).

Winchell Chung
Winchell Chung

To finish this post I will like to thank Winchell Chung the creation of Atomic Rockets and wish him the best, because while Sugaar Editorial and I were giving Albatros it's final touches I knew that Winchell had been hospitalized in a medical center due to prostate cancer with a certainly complicated prognosis, something that forced him to cede the management of the website to Christopher Weuve, one of the patrons helping him with the funding of the website's maintenance through Patreon.

This entry it's also available in the following languages:
Castellano Català

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario